Dave,

I did reply to another message you posted. It covers this subject for
the most part. However, tell me that the hidden transmitter effect
does not play a role in contests, when all reason seems to stop..and
by agreement for most.

Specifically when and where is your conflict with automatic
controlled stations, currently. I mean not in concept, but on the
bands?  Where is your conflict with stations under local and remote
control?  I note that you are talking about FEC(maybe) narrow band
protocols at typing speeds being interfered with by high speed data
transfer. Won't the current band plan eliminate that issue?

Steve, k4cjx

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Today, US amateurs must comply with the allocation scheme set forth
> in part 97, and there are meaningful penalties for violation. This
> doesn't prevent mistakes -- which I agree occur every day -- but
> does an excellent job of discouraging longterm, willful violation.
>
> There is also a voluntary component to HF operation. CW, RTTY, PSK,
> MFSK, and other digital mode operators have evolved defacto sub-
> bands, and co-exist effectively even where subbands are shared
> between modes. A critical ingredient to this cooperation is the
fact
> that most QSOs are between attended stations. If I'm looking to
call
> CQ PSK63 on 14073.5, I'll make sure that frequency is clear before
> calling; if there's an MFSK QSO already in progress there, I won't
> call.
>
> In contrast, voluntary cooperation has not resolved the conflict
> between attended stations and automatic stations controlled by a
> remote station. As has been discussed here frequently, the hidden
> transmitter effect allows an automatic station to QRM an ongoing
QSO
> [...]
really
> rely on
> > the FCC with their limited resources to enforce the regulations
> already on
> > the books?  We have strong interference regulations, and those
> regulations
> > would remain in place under the ARRL petition and the
> Communications Think
> > Tank petition.  The question then must be asked, what regulations
> are today
> > enforced by the FCC, and how would that change under the ARRL
> petition and
> > the Communications Think Tank petition?  Are U.S. amateurs
> disciplined
> > enough to work in a deregulated environment?
> >
> > Today, the Part 97 rules dealing with the 80 though 10 meter
bands
> > segregate emissions by their content and control.  Within the
> control
> > regulations automatically controlled stations are limited to
> certain
> > subbands when their  emissions are greater than 500 Hz. RTTY/Data
> emissions
> > are segregated from Phone/Image emissions.  Digital emissions are
> > authorized in 100% of the 80 through 10 meter bands.  The
> segregation of
> > digital emissions, rtty/data/phone/image is based on the content
> of the
> > emission.  I do not recall any FCC warning or citation based on
> content
> > violations. Content violations have occurred and do occur every
> > day.  Either the amateur community is not concerned with this
type
> of
> > violation and have not informed the FCC, or the FCC is not
> interested in
> > enforcing these regulations.  It really does not matter what is
> the cause,
> > the fact is that these regulations are not enforced, so why have
> them on
> > the books?  QRM occurs every day too, and amateurs seem willing
> report
> > such violations, and the FCC seems willing to enforce them.
> Realistically,
> > QRM is the issue and the enforcement of interference regulations
> by the FCC
> > will not change when content restrictions are dropped.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Mark N5RFX
> >
> > At 08:45 PM 12/29/2005, you wrote:
> > >The issue is the expanded use of
> > >remotely-controlled automatic stations without the means to
> prevent
> > >hidden-transmitter QRM, and the elimination of any incentives for
> > >operators to comply with the band plan (e.g. losing operating
> > >priveleges). We can have separation by bandwidth, increased
> > >flexibility, and polite automatic operation without turning the
> > >bands into a free-for-all, which will be the outcome if the
> > >ARRL's "voluntary band plan" proposal is accepted.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

Looking for digital mode software?  Check the quick commerical free link below
http://www.obriensweb.com/digimodes.html