--- John Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Last night I was on 40 meters after loading my CQ
> tape
> into the TD a 8 station answered. Here is where it
> all
> started down hill. Since his mark tone was right on
> frequency but the space tone was way out in the
> weeds
> some place. It also seems that hit system did not
> send
> a CR  LF till about 100 letters while the type box
> makes
> a black square on the right hand edge of the paper.
>
> My question is what is the shift that these RTTY
> program
> use and can you adjust the point the CR LF added?

It may be that the software is using 200 hz for the
shift.  At one time that seemed to be a common shift
for another digital mode, maybe packet.  With sound
cards being used on the computers some programs are
sloppy and may not even send the cr/lf and expect the
computer to take care of that.

I wrote a computer program years ago on an 8080
processor and had it set to do an automatic cr/lf/ltrs
while I was typing.  It looked for the first space
after about 65 characters,  If it did not see one,
then it would force the cr/lf/ltrs to be sent at 72
characters.  I could disable that function if I wanted
to.
The computer keyboard I was using did not have a
linefeed so to speak of.  To get it to do that I had
to hold down the Ctrl key and use one of the leters.
Can't recall if it was a Ctrl M or if that was the
carriage return with the ctrl key.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

Looking for digital mode software?  Check the quick commerical free link below
http://www.obriensweb.com/digimodes.html