If I remember correctly, it seems that some years ago, when the U.S.
expanded the phone band, either the band plan or the actual government
sub bands were further expanded in Canada so that the VE hams would
always have frequencies below the U.S. hams. It almost seemed a bit of
an exclusivity kind of thing to me. Perhaps others would view it
differently, but my preference would be to at least have the same
bandplans for a given continent.