> > > I am not sure what you mean by AMTOR and Pactor being curtailed by
> > > being
> cheap modes.

I re-read my post and  see that I did not make myself clear with that
sentence you refer to!  What I meant  was that the soundcard modes were
either free or cheap.. sorry about that.   I have owned several TNCs and
still have a HAL DXP38.  I still enjoy using Clover but Pactor and Amtor ARQ
chats are quite rare now.  But I totally agree that MFSK and other soundcard
modes can really get through the noise.

73 Buddy WB4M