Hello Rud,

You do not need to perform FFT for signal processing.
You can use two vasic methods to demodulate FSK. I'd like say more,
the FFT has a very slow responce, so it can be used for low baudrate
modes only.

The first is creating two filters for two frequencies
and two amlitude detectors, the demodulatiob result is
the difference between the two above mentioned amplitudes.

The second is creating a common filter which passes all the needed
spectru, and a phase detector after that.

See http://www.DSPguide.com for more details.

Let me know in case of more questions.

Saturday, January 28, 2006, you wrote:

Rud> I want to experiment with digital protocols in ham  radio
Rud> by starting with the PC soundcard. I understand some of the
Rud> basics like  filters and FFT. I even have some of them working in
Rud> code (C++).
Rud> ═
Rud> I do not know how to proceed from the basics into
Rud> demodulating an audio signal into bits.
Rud> ═
Rud> For instance, I am playing with the VHF packet  protocol
Rud> which use 1200 and 2200 hz signalling. I enter the samples for a
Rud> single  1200 hz cycle into the FFT array. The FFT shows a peak at
Rud> around 1000 hz. The  FFT array═is 2048 samples long filled with
Rud> 0s except for the 1 cycle of  1200 hz which is 40 samples at the
Rud> rate of 48000 samples per second. If I put 4  cycles in the FFT
Rud> array I get 1195 hz which is correct. Hanning or Hamming  Windows
Rud> do not help.
Rud> ═
Rud> I have looked at some of the available source but  am
Rud> missing the insight I need for proceeding further. Any
Rud> suggestions on how to  proceed further? Any suggestions on books
Rud> or web sites that address  communications DSP at this level? How
Rud> about an email reflector where I can ask  questions of DSP gurus?
Rud> ═
Rud> -73-
Rud> Rud K5RUD
Rud> ARES AEC
Rud> Montgomery County,  TX
Rud> ═
Rud> ═

Rud>  Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to═ Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org

Rud>  Other areas of interest:

discussion)

--
Best regards,
 Nick                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]