From: Tim Gorman
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Problem: a (almost) total lack of knowlege.

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 19:49, list email filter wrote:
> Graeme,
>

> 2. You want to install a stand-alone digipeater, bbs, and / or gateway,
> i.e. doing this without a computer running.  These days the only people
> interested in this are the APRS folks, and with everyone wanting to run
> an igate, even that's rare.

Graeme,

This is not necessarily true.

I have two 2m packet nodes running old AEA & MFJ tnc's at home. The Salvation
Army is getting equipped with one. More packet nodes are being installed all
over.

Several of these are running JNOS on the computer to provide internet linking
as well as amateur radio networking (called amprnet).

Lot's of people are waking up to the fact again that packet has a lot to offer
as far as portability and capability for use during emergencies.

The sound card modes are nice but when someone tells you the reason they are
nice is because they use less bandwidth than phone --- look out. Typing on a
keyboard will never replace talking into a microphone. And soundcard digital
voice is a long ways off yet.

Anyway, don't be impatient if it takes a while to learn about all this.

Get on Google and search for "packet radio" and then try adding soundcard to
the search.

You'll find lots to read!

tim ab0wr

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org