When you say you have no problem with "loading and tuning correctly", exactly
what process are you following? Do you have an antenna that is resonant on
all these frequencies? Are you using an autotuner between the 746 and the
antenna? It sounds like perhaps you have a problem causing a high SWR on 20m
which is causing your ALC to run up as the rig "folds-back" the output as a
protection measure.

tim ab0wr