Hmmmm,. up to a point I would agree about the numbers who have gone from
being solid RTTY only ops, to switching over to PSK.  Those guys havent
stopped RTTY, but just added PSK and maybe Olivia etc.   At my present
location for over 21 years now, and when I first arrived I tuned around rtty
freqs, but had no ability to copy, as no ASR or other big oily clanky
machine here, though I did have one previously.  What with the influx of
sound card and programs for ham radio operations, we have litterally
thousands more using digital modes than we ever had when we depended on the
Tiny Tot generation.  I am back info RTTY, and I have talked with hundreds
more wh are also back, or there for the first time.  Even with the influx of
PSK operators, my RTTY country totals far exceed PSK, Olivia, and the rest
of the new digital modes together, and I have been working them all for the
exact same time, since acquiring my first PC.  Oh, even before that, I had
Commodore and did some RTTY with it, but not for long.

Yep, today I tuned in to PSK and my WinWarbler program, which has wideband
copy(meaning it can individually print out dozens of PSK signals all at the
same time) had some 31 PSK signals it was copying.  I read a line or two of
each signals printout, selected one to talk to, clicked on that print, and
the waterfall marker went to his signal, I called, and had my QSO.  That
took less than 3 KC of bandwidth, to copy each and every one of those
signals at the same time.   In order to copy that many RTTY signals, it
would have taken , at minimum, 7 to 8 KC of space, and that only if they
were standing exactly next to each other in a line up and down the band, and
one didnt wipe out the others from its extra strength, etc.  That just
wouldnt happen.

No - RTTY is now in demise, quite to the contrary.  Just look at the numbers
in RTTY contests today.  Outstanding.  But, by the way, I did immediately
tune the RTTY portion of 20, after seeing all those PSK signals (3/4 were
stateside, and the rest were German or Italian), and found about 7 or 8 RTTY
QSOs going on.  Lets see,  PSK 21 - RTTY 8,  but we have to look at power
too.  The PSK stations were probably using 20-40 watts in general, and the
RTTY 50-100 or maybe even amps.  So it does take slightly more power, and
maybe better antennas to handle it, for RTTY.  PSK is popular, but my DXing
goes with RTTY.  Thats where THEY are.