Amateur ARQ modes are 'session' oriented.  That means one and only one
connection at a time can be made between stations.  Each station
checking in would have to 'make' a connection with the net control
station and then send callsign, etc.  A 'disconnect' would then have
to be done to allow the next station to log in.

With ARQ there is no way to either send information to a station or to
respond without making an actual connection.  In order for the net
control to dispatch stations off frequency to handle traffic, he/she
would have to 'connect/disconnect' with each station to send them this
information and to get a positive response that the dispatch was
received.  All the 'connect/disconnect' messaging really slows down
net operation.

As far as I know, none of the FEC modes require the
'connect/disconnect' operations to send and receive information which
makes it much quicker and easier to control net operations.

Jim
WA0LYK