From time to time I read the FADCA archives just to get a different
perspective. I have talked to a number of different groups around the
country as well. There is no current interest in our state for any kind
of packet network. We have an emergency packet yahoogroup but there have
been only a handful of messages in the past few years. You need a
critical mass of participants to get something to move in a positive
direction. This is just not going to happen here because new hams seem
to have no interest in this technology and older hams have gone through
the packet radio experience of the 80's and have no further interest.

Our state EOC has an extensive radio amateur presence during normal
working hours and has a moderate amount of equipment in place. The
decision was made by the SEC to move digital communications to Winlink
2000. My expectation is that not much will happen in that area over the
next few years. The other major initiative is to duplicate the existing
linked repeater system with a new system owned and controlled by
ARES/RACES, but that will be primarily as a back up for the loss of HF
propagation and for the increasing numbers of technician class licensees
who do not have HF privelege.

Personally, my interest is in developing HF digital links, but there
just are not many who want to support that. I still think that fixed
stations operating on 160 or 80 meters can provide some very good
coverage without having the damaging effect of losing a key node in a
highly fragile VHF/UHF network. They could also do some cross banding
from HF to VHF/UHF too.  I am always looking for any information from
other states that have had some luck with setting up this kind of
network but maybe there aren't any.