mel,
While military-ham organizations (MARS)do exist here. the vast majority of US hams do NOT partisipste. in them.  no body pays me anything to be a ham or supports my hobby in any fashion.  I got started 50 years ago at age 14 because it looked like a fun hobby.  I hope no one expects me to march in lock step, or spout a political philosophy proposed by some "official line", if anyone thinks he will command me or my operations, I will quit this hobby and see to it that all my equipment and antennas are disabled and no longer serviceable.  MY station is never at the disposal of any branch of goverment.  certainly, my neighbors, sould a need arise. but,  the police and military have far more resources than I do and can damn well buy threir own radios and hire their own operators.  for me, "Volunteer" is just a euphemism for unpaid slave.  and it takes away a job from someone else who needs to feed a family.

Harv Nelson n9AI,   ai9NL

Washburn, WI