If I had the computer knowledge to design a perfect mode.............   (note the large "if")

It might look like this: ( in no particular order)

  • ARQ/FEC olivia mode , with the ability to speed up or slow down automatically dependent on the number of bad packets recieved
  • Equally at home on HF and VHF/UHF, for cross band operation
  • A "query" function ... to detect available stations set up as repeaters, or mailboxes, eliminating the need the beacon this information.
  • Sound card software, not requiring an expensive modem
  • Equally at home in the field or in an EOC
  • The ability to interface with the internet for message handling
  • The ability to use "templates" such as a message form , or the Red Cross Registration forms, so that information could be printed at the other end in a familiar format for non hams to use.
  • Simple screens, so that someone (ie a fast typist) could be quickly trained on how to use the system, under supervision, of course.
  • Able to be part of a simple network, using Outlook Express as a message generator/receiver
  • Also equally at home on a simple keyboard to keyboard contact over HF
  • Run under any version of windows, and requiring a relatively slow computer, like 166mhz or better

as you may gather, I'd like something to be used both for ragchewing and during an emergency for message handling ( and no, I don't want to open up the debate as to whether hams will still do this again) , since there are a number of us who have been tasked with Ecomms and train regularly with the agencies we support.

comments?

John
VE5MU

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org