Title: RE: [digitalradio] ALE in Emergency HF use (Re: Another look at ALE)

Please see below.

-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:digitalradio@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of doc
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:41 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] ALE in Emergency HF use (Re: Another look at
ALE)

[stuff deleted]

2.  Difficulty of full-featured use with commonly
available HF transceivers.  (I don't recall if ALE
software will function on anything but the proprietary
MS version of windows.  If so that leaves millions of
Apple and Linux users out of the picture.)

        This is becoming more evident we purchase computers.  We can
        purchase a Dell small footprint P-4 with 512MB of RAM and a 40GB HDD
        for about $200 with no OS installed.  A new Dell would cost twice than  much and then have to add an office suite.  I can load DSL or Puppy

        Linux Mozilla and OpenOffice and do everything that MS Office and IE can
        do and it won't cost us a cent.

3.  Difficulty of use with commonly owned antennas.
(Broadband HF antennas are rare and most are either
terribly lossy or barely efficient, limiting range
and low-signal effectiveness.)

        True...in the military I used to use the B&W 3-30 MHz dipole...a 2TDF
        antenna (terminated, 2 element, folded dipole...has a 6:1 or 8:1 balun
        and a swamping resistor in the center of the top wire).  This antenna
        according to Harris RF Comm Gp and Rockwell-Collins has about 8-10 dB
        less radiation than a resonate dipoles (Inverted Vs).  However running  spider dipoles on 80 and 40M gives you good NVIS radiation.

4.  Cost of hardware with embedded ALE.

        The IC-F7000 is about $1400 and the Yaesu VX-1700 with ALE module is
        probably close to $1000.  A Mobat HF is at least $3000.

5.  Multiple competing digital modes.

        Someone tell me if MIL-STD-188-110a or FS-1052 at 2400 BPS is more
        robust than MT63.

Bonnie and a few others have invested the thousands
of dollars and thousands of hours to develop fine
ALE resources, that is a good thing but is not a
model we can expect huge numbers of Hams to emulate.

        The average "active" ham only spends $800 or so a year on Amateur
        Radio.

For redundancy, because disasters don't care about
the location of pre-staged gear, we need emergency
response modes to be commonly available and easy to
operate.

Good work has been done out there but we still have
a ways to go.

        73,

Walt/K5YFW

            | | & | |
               {|

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org