I used to think that Viterbi coding worked better for ham applications.
For example, Pactor modes (Viterbi) work better than Clover modes (R-S).
Other R-S modes include, SSTV RDFT and the Winlink 2000 initial attempt
to develop a sound card mode (SCAMP) which uses the same modulation
scheme as RDFT.

Actually, many of the sound card modes use Viterbi:  QPSK31,  PSK63F,
PSK220F, MFSK16, MFSK8, and even the new DominoEX/FEC mode all use
Viterbi coding.

Many of the Pactor "tricks" have been applied to sound card modes,
including Huffman compression which is really varicode from what I
understand.

The use of DPSK is common for sound card modes since PSK31 is really
DPSK, is it not? In fact, the waveform is quite similar to Pactor using
a raised cosine form.

But it still does not explain why Pactor 2 and 3 is so much faster than
the sound card modes. Even though many have determined that P2 and P3
can not work as deep into the noise as some sound card modes, other
tests seem to refute this. Rick, KN6KB has indicated that the SCS
product is tremendously more powerful than any desktop computer at this
time since it is a dedicated unit.

One other way to increase the coding is to use concatenated codes that
include both R-S and Viterbi since we can do this with faster
processors. The technology trends seem to replace the concatenated codes
with Turbo code that is a more recent development. Is anyone planning to
use this for sound card applications?

I wonder what would happen if a developer speeded up some of the very
weak signal approaches such as WOLF:

http://www.scgroup.com/ham/wolf.html