Andrew O'Brien wrote:

I'm no expert on this but I guess it depends on what you mean "doing
ALE".  Any radio that you can connect to a soundcard will "do ALE"
via PC-ALE , but perhaps only on a single frequency.  Ideally you
should have a radio that provides rig control via PC-ALE,  AND one
that can scan frequencies at a fast enough rate to monitor the ALE
channels.  My old TS440 can achieve good rig control but it scans at
one channel per 2-3 seconds , the more modern radios seem capable of
several channels per second.  This allows them to scan ALL the HF ALE
frequencies  efficiently.  Although my TS440 can scan slowly, an
additional issue is that when it switches bands , mechanical relays
are activated.  Constantly scanning would likely wear the relays out
over time.  I usually only scan 2-3 frequencies at a time, within the
same band.  Obviously this limits the deficiency of my ALE efforts.

So, although a $400 rig , like a TS440, will "do" ALE, you may have to
move up to the $600-700 range to get a used radio with a good scanning
How can I get TS440 S working with PC-ALE, rig is not in radio type list
I have PC-ALE 1.061 installed

-Tommi oh7jjt-
rate.

--
Andy K3UK
Fredonia, New York.

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org