Hello All,

In my post on radio control and PC-ALE earlier I should has mentioned
a few other items.

Obviously any can place their radio into SPLIT VFO when PC-ALE or any
program (ScanCat, BeaconSee etc.) is directly controlling frequency
scanning where you want the program to be under PC control to stop on
a dime when a signal is detected for whatever purpose and yet you do
not want to unduly tax the radios hardware. However, for ALE
purposes, both VFO's need to be on the proper frequency when it comes
time to transmit, thus when you are Scanning and a station calls you
to establish an ALE link, only the RX VFO will have been updated and
you will transmit back on the wrong frequency.

Again, PC-ALE handles this for ICOM radios where it works, those not
listed for selection can by used with the GENERIC ICOM interface.
Having said that, the current PC-ALE does something with respect to
Kenwood radios that make then a viable option Scanning with ALE and
being on the correct frequency to transmit should you receive a call,
it writes the channel frequency to both VFO A and B. Thus if you
manually place the radio in SPLIT VFO for use with PC-ALE, any CAT
Kenwood HF will be on the correct frequency for RX and TX when a link
is achieved. However, all but the older Kenwood TS-440 work
correctly, for that model the BPF relays are not disabled during RX Fo changes.

The only two Yaesu radios that support QS/S are the FT-990 and
FT-920, however the current PC-ALE does not write to both VFO's for
either of these models or any others.

In addition for monitoring only purposes a general coverage receiver
can be used can be used instead of a transceiver (some receivers also
have relay issues, but they are not as critical as in a transmit and
some provide CAT commands to bypass) where RF power relays are not a
consideration.

I have a TCI 8174 DSP receiver that runs 24/7 here using MARS-ALE.
Anyone can download and use MARS-ALE for monitoring with, it has
support for lots of receivers as we use them for guard channel duty
where a transceiver is not required. In addition, I will be marrying
transceivers to work with receivers in a twins configuration in a
future release of the tool for a number of reasons.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH/AAR2EY
www.n2ckh.com