At this time, Microsoft has the reining OS of the world. This has no
bearing on a bias toward or against ... it is the current reality.

Personally, I have used Linux variants off and on for many years now and
plan to install one computer with only Linux (again) when I get a more
powerful computer than the 450 MHz Pentium that I gave to my mother to
run Windows 98. I have a KVM switch here so this permits me to run two
computers with different OS's side by side and instantly switch back and
forth with only one mouse/monitor and keyboard.

The software I mentioned earlier are some of the best OSS and in some
cases may be superior to some of the Windows centric software. Please be
aware that none of that software requires payment so it has nothing to
do at all with commercial sales.

 The software you mention below are in some cases, also OSS. For
example, Xastir is considered a very good OSS product and runs on
"Windows/MacOSX/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/Lindows." The WSJT software you
mention is cross platform as well. I have it set up on Windows now.

As a fairly high end user of word processing due to heavy use of tabular
documents with shading nuances within a table box, I have to admit that
MS Word is a superior product for certain attributes. If you need them!
If you don't, then Open Office 2 is very good and easily handles more
than most could ever want. Price = free. Same with Firefox and
Thunderbird, etc.

Most all of the amateur radio programs that I use are all OSS or
freeware. That includes the Pegasus software, and the fabulous Multipsk
program which works in concert with other freeware programs such as the
equally fabulous freeware DX Lab suite of programs.

Linux simply does not have anything equal to this right now. Many have
asked the developers if they would be willing to write software that
will work across OS's, and some have indicated they will do this. Most
do not have the desire to retrain and are only willing to support the OS
with the overwhelming number of users. I can not blame them. But I do
believe that over time (but I have been saying this for well over 5
years now), there will be more Linux software available.

The one Linux program that has been the major breakthrough is the
PSKmail program that only runs on Linux. While I have not been able to
get any interest yet here in the U.S., I plan to do some testing in the
future. I have tried gMFSK under Linux and it is OK, but I think you
have to admit a bit limited compared to Multipsk.

A good source of information for the Linux apps is:
http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/app.html

I am sure many other hams would agree with me that we are indebted to
the programmers who have built amateur radio software, whether on *nix
or MS Win OS or especially for those who have written cross platform
software.