The only "arbitrary limit" I've heard anyone wish to impose on
automatic stations is "don't QRM my QSO". This desire has nothing to
do with one's familiarity with computing; its a basic expectation of
polite amateur operation.

To deploy an automatic station and let it run unattended with no
means of avoiding transmission on an already busy frequency is an
egregious violation of amateur practice and spirit.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "expeditionradio"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ><Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) wrote:
> > IMHO, some kind of 'automatic' mode should exist -
>
> I agree...
> It appears that many HF digi operators are using some form of
> "automatic" in their station. From the use of simple macros for
> sending text or callsign recognition, auto CQ, rotator pointing,
CAT
> frequency control, auto ID, auto response, logging, APRS, etc...
> onward to higher levels.
>
> I believe this trend for automation will continue to be a big part
of
> amateur radio, especially digi operation. Within the next solar
cycle
> the contentiousness of the automation issue will peak, and then
> diminish as a new generation of hams forged in the computer age
takes
> to the airwaves.
>
> It seems oddly ironic for one flavor of digi operators to want to
> place arbitrary limits on what another flavor of digi operators can
> do. I seem to remember a similar thing in the middle of the last
> century... only it was called "AM-vs-SSB". We got through that one
OK.
> Through understanding, cooperation, and working together,
developments
> and digi advancements in automation will continue.
>
>  We are already seeing some automation features built into HF
> transceivers, and they will continue even more. Automation is now
as
> much a part of ham radio as the Morse key or the PTT microphone.
>
> Bonnie KQ6XA

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org