> The original question though was whether it wouldn't be better to use a
> more commonly available (i.e. cheaper) protocol, especially as it would
> increase the number of potential participants in a true emergency (or
> drill).  I'm not sure that's really the right way to think about it
> though, given the nature of the available protocols, bandwidth, and
> human nature to participate in 'aid work', it might actually be a more
> responsive usable network if the number of pmbo's and the number of
> stations connecting to them was limited.  Similar to the digipeater
> problem, where too many makes the network performance much worse rather
> than better.  If we could all of a sudden have both an unregulated
> number of pmbo's on the air, and a proportionally larger number of
> stations routing traffic to them, it's fairly likely that the entire
> network would collapse, and little to no traffic would get through.  I
> know we (the hams with an interest in emergency response volunteerism)
> don't like to feel as though there is an economic filter preventing us
> from participating, but it may in fact be a good thing, that there is a
> practical limit to the system.
> Erik  KI4HMS

I need to share two qualifiers here:

1.  Due to the impossibility of predicting where and how
a given disaster may impact a region one must and should
strategize for the greatest possible redundancy.

2.  It is a trivial matter to establish a protocol for the
handling of digital traffic the same as it is for voice
or CW traffic.  Simply add a station ID filter for those
you wish to include or exclude.  This is part of the task
of the Incident Command - Communications folks.  They first
need to assess their resources, could be all of those they
hoped for, none of those they hoped for, or just some holes.
They assign resources as needed and screen-out or redirect
those they do not need either to standby, join a different
system, or QSY.

It seems like standard NET protocol.  Am I missing something?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e  http://bibleseven.com
Ham Links: http://bibleseven.com/hl.html

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org