The current rules permit multiplexed non phone emission on 6 meters
(above 50.1 MHz) and 2 meters (above 144.1 MHz) and they could be
multiplexed image and phone if I understand the regulations properly. A
quality A3E emission would be an AM signal and that can be fairly broad.

/(2) No non-phone emission shall exceed the bandwidth of a
communications quality phone emission of the same modulation type. The
total bandwidth of an independent sideband emission (having B as the
first symbol), or a multiplexed image and phone emission, shall not
exceed that of a communications quality A3E emission./

When some SSTV hams moved from analog image, to the more recent digital
image modulation schemes (RDFT and now more QAM), it was accepted by the
FCC as being comparable because of the underlying mode being
transmitted, namely image.

Under the new proposed regulations by bandwidth, which I once thought
would be a solution, the new proposals do not necessarily permit any
modulation scheme or mode based upon bandwidth.  Dave Sumner, ARRL CEO,
wrote some time back in his "It seems to us", editorial column, that
they still want some segregation of the modes too.

For example, they do not want digital voice to be mixed in with analog
voice, even though they might be the same channel width. At this time
you can transmit either analog or digital voice in a voice portion of
the bands. In fact, on 160 meters all modes, digital or analog can be
used anywheres in terms of FCC regulations (but not necessarily the
suggested bandplans).

If the new proposed regulations went into effect, there would still be
bandplans that would segregate modes.  This would be done to satisfy
what some would consider good operating practices and they would very
likely place digital modes in a different area from analog modes of the
same bandwidth.

I am skeptical that digital voice will ever be quite as good as analog
voice for weak signal situations (in real time), so the one thing that I
wanted the most is to have the ability to send analog voice and be able
to switch to digital transmissions as well, both for voice and data.
This may not be possible under the new proposals that the FCC is
contemplating at this time.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM