Hi all.

Sorry about the delay in replying.

I shall reply in more detail very soon.

The basis of the system relies on trellis encoding, with
multiple carriers, and a form of forward error correction
and interleaving code that spreads errors both across the
carriers and in the time domain, so you can either have a
pulse that blanks out all carriers for a short time, or you
can lose some of your carriers all the time, and no
degradation will result. Only severe interference or
Gaussian noise will blank out the transmission enough to
degrade the resolved DataStream.

The potential use that I can see is video, but it may well
be of interest to the packet community.

I will get the protocol written up that I have been using in
my tests shortly.

It was really just a few evenings I had spare, and it needs
someone with better programming skills than me to take it on
further.

But I think a semi-lossless video system using this
technique would be extremely interesting. The other
interesting thing about this system is that when errors are
detected and cannot be corrected, some data bits are more
resistant to going through the noise than others. So with a
semi-lossless system, you could detect a poor signal and
produce a lower resolution/lower number of bit depth image.
That would be interesting.

The most significant bits will produce a bitrate of around
5.5kbits/sec in around 6dB C:N (or that's the theory!),
which would be enough for GSM compression anyway.

Taking this on then, with an audio signal, you could have
GSM quality at poor C:N ratios, then as the C:N goes up, you
start to get more audio bandwidth and less compression
artefacts until at 30dB C:N you end up with near CD-quality
audio.

All food for thought, but I'll publish the spec first.

Sam