From: Robert Bruninga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jul 8, 2006 11:57 PM
Subject: [ui-view] APRS Obsolete? (DFing)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>...is APRS obsolete? With the advent of things like ALE
>and Winlink, I wonder what the purpose of APRS is
>(aside from tracking where your ham friend is in his car) ?

That's the problem. Too many people only see APRS as
a tracking program and have not paid attention to some
of the more interesting, though less used facets. One of
the most significant of these was direction finding and
signal (jammer) location by signal strength.

The original APRS programs included Direction Finding
as an equal in the trinity of Tracking, Weather and DF.
In the mid 90's Numerous articles were found in many of
the Ham magazines showing how to build and to interface DF
units to APRS for automatic DFing. APRS had automatic
intefaces for these systems and others:

Roanoke Doppler
Doppler Systems Inc
N7LUE Doppler kit
DFjunior

But even more powerful was the ability to localize any signal
to a neighborhood or a mile or so simply by signal strength
alone. Since APRS could see where eveyrone was, and most
stations back then included PHG (Antenna Gain and Height
above average terrain) APRS could instantly plot overlaping
signal strength contours that could easily localize any signal
source in seconds.

See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html

The beauty of this omni-signal-strength plotting was that
100% of every station on the air could give GOOD input
so the jammer could be localized in seconds. This was
two orders of magnitude better response than the old
Beam heading technique, because now 100% of everyone
had useful data (not just the 5% who have beams)..
Plus *not-hearing* the signal was equally good data because
their signal controur plotted where the signal *was-not*.
(again, 10 times more people don't hear it than do, so we
get 10 times more data (and territority eliminated)).

DFing was growing exponentially in the mid-90's with the
excitement of APRS which brought it all together with GPS,
DF units and maping/tracking and signal strength contours.
But then UIview came out with its ease of use and very
high popularity. Not only did it not include any of the DF
stuff (without an add-on) but it also did not include the
fundamental APRS station information about antenna
height and gain (without an add-on or manual entry) so
that all these new stations had no input into the signal strength
contours (without an add on). Thus they could not even
easily give data to other DF stations who could plot it
because none of the tools wree built in.

So as the popularity of UIview rapidly increased, the
capability of APRS as a community DF system rapidly
deminished to where most users these days are not aware
of this fundamental function of APRS and cannot contribute
signal strength data for instantly localizing the source
of a signal (without an add-on or manually formatting
it by hand.)

This is a real disappointment since the combination
of Maps with GPS, and APRS and Signal Sterngth information
and Station Antenna contours was just such a natural
to bring amateur radio signal finding to the 21st century.

UIview has add-ons to add these capapbilties, but it is
kind of like the problem with Beams and DF equipment,
they're not there in most cases when you need them. The
idea was that every APRS user was suppsoed to be able
to display DF and signal strength data and to input signal
data into the "community solution" and the only way this
works is if everyone has it at their fingertips and practices
with it when they hear a strrange signal on their repeater.

Then we as a community can really have something to
offer other communicatiosn services. Jammers and clowns
on the Marine VHF and other services could all equally be
plotted for example.

So that is one of the hopes for the future, that we will
get back on the Signal Finding growth curve that we
were on back in the mid 90's and add this fantastic
capability to our tool kits.

Bob, Wb4APR

--
Andy K3UK