--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Glenn Loyd"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello everyone, I am new to radio, with some industrial electronics
> background. Is there anyway to try digital modes on the cheap? I have
> passed elements 2 and 3, but can't seem to spare enough time to learn
> much code. Also the cost of HF equipment is also higher.
> My main interest is in disaster services (5 years experience in a
> Baptist mobile kitchen). I keep hearing 'WinLink', and PSK31
mentioned.
> Is VHF/UHF worth doing? What interface?
>
> Thanks, Glenn
> KE5HNS

Glenn, for disaster services..people like FEMA and other Govt agencies
often use a digital mode called ALE.  Hams also use that mode.  ALE
for govt agencies is often an HF mode.  Hams also use a digital mode
called PACTOR on HF for emergency communications.

On VHF and UHF there are a LOT of hams that use a digital mode called
Packet radio for emergency communications , usually via relay of email-
type messages and occasional file attachments. Winlink/Airmail is one
such system that uses packet on VHF/UHF (they also use Pactor on HF).
To get started in Win-link you will need some free software and then
connect you PC to the VHF or UHF radio.  Let us know what kind of VHF
or UHF radio you have, if you want to try connecting it for packet
radio.  A hardware device called a "TNC" is often used for packet
radio but you can also do packet via a free software application that
uses the PC's soundcard.

Feel free to ask more questions if you get close to connecting your
radio to a PC or TNC.

Also on VHF /UHF via packet radio is APRS, often helpful for emergency
communication, tracking, and weather alerts.  All the software you
would need for that is also free!

Using a plain old microphone on UHF or VHF is also common for
emergency of public service communication.  Storm alerting networks
("Skywarn", Hurricane nets" ) and message relaying nets ("traffic
nets") are often on VHF.

The HF bands also use digital modes such as PSK31, RTTY, MFSK16,
Olivia, and Hell, for basic conversations via a keyboard.  These modes
can be used for emergency communications but are not usually
associated with formal emergency communication groups (like Red Cross,
Sally Army,ARES, RACES,  etc, etc).

Andy k3UK