--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "jerryrp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a Rascal interface that uses the mike plug and ext speaker
> conection to inferace the radio with my rascal.  My question is it
> better to use the ACC plug in the rear of the radio to interface to the
> radio?

The best answer is "it depends."

You'd like to use the back panel audio output if there is one that
is independent of the volume control.  That way you can set the level
to whatever your sound card needs, and then you can turn the speaker
volume up and down all you want without messing up the sound card.
But some radios don't have a backpanel audio output and you are forced
to use the headphone or speaker jack.

An advantage to using the mike plug for keying and audio into the radio
is that it will work with nearly all transceivers of the same brand,
whereas the backpanel connectors vary a lot from one model to the next.

An advantage to using the backpanel connector for keying and
audio into the radio is that you may be able to get it down to
a one-cable interface, rather than separate cables for the
mike plug and the audio output from the receiver.  Also if you
use the mike a lot you can just leave it plugged in and not
have to change anything physical to go from voice to digital.

However - beware - on some radios if you leave the mike plugged
in it picks up sound when the radio is keyed from the back - so
in addition to sending digital signals you will be sending all
the sounds from the room where you are operating.

I have a Kenwood radio hooked up so the backpanel audio output
feeds the sound card and a TNC and a Clover modem.  The TNC and
Clover modem feed audio into the back panel input, and use
the back panel PTT line.  The sound card uses the mike plug for
audio input and PTT.  This way I don't have to throw any switches
to get from one modem to another.