On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:50:18 -0000, "expeditionradio"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>By the way, Chas, please tell me more about Kenwood's ALE standards,
>because I was not yet aware that Kenwood had an ALE radio.
>
>Hams use the "MIL STD 188-141" ALE, and that is the one that is found
>embedded in the Micom, Harris, Icom, Codan, Vertex, etc.
>
>Bonnie KQ6XA

I know NOTHING!!! <G>  contact tech support for ICOM in Washington state and
ask them about ALE and what is out there.   That tech is the person who told
me what I have posted.   in his opinion, the best ALE radio out is the Codan.
Why are the Aussies so far ahead of us on these rigs???
Anyway, he is the person who told me that there is a standard being developed
for HAM  ALE usage.  My personal interest is MARS.  If I had a spare $5kUS, I
would likely buy the Codan or the Harris.  but to me, that is simply
disgraceful or... bordering on obssessive behaviour to spend that much on such
a radio.
Still,  just think of how much power is built into the radio along with
scanning, etc and in a package which is designed to be carried around in
Trish's command car<G>.

regards
73/chas
--