Harold,

While I have heard of FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) and
similar concepts of spreading out the modulation over a number of
frequencies for security reasons (type of encryption), that is not what
I referred to. Actually, many of us use SS technology for some of our
non-amateur technologies.

Bonnie says that hams don't use frequency hopping now on ALE but was not
able to explain it.

However, I am coining the term frequency hopping, as meaning jumping
from one frequency to another for short periods and it well describes
what ALE actually does.

I reject any references to the use of the term channel as this is
Bonnie's attempt to try and move amateur radio toward channelization. We
have a band of frequencies except on the 60 meter band where we have
some spot frequencies.

I parked on one of the 20 meter "ALE frequencies" for a short time today
and periodically heard some ALE signals. Sometimes for quite a few
seconds, perhaps as long as 10 seconds? If many were doing this, it
would be very annoying as it would obviously interfere with a busy
channel with a hidden transmitter.

The emergency use of this mode is rather limited on amateur radio since
we rarely would call up a region or even a state, but it could
theoretically happen if there were a number of hams actively monitoring.
You will not find many of us setting up an all call 24/7 due to the
inevitable pranksters. I can see where it would work OK on MARS and
commecial circuits. If it does catch on with some hams, it will very
likely be a selcal type of mode for friends to connect like we do now
for skeds.

It can be especially useful for the less technically astute who are not
that knowledgeable about propogation. Which is why it is used for
commercial/military where the operators (really the users) don't have to
know anything other than to push this button. I have a friend in the
business who has set up commercial full duplex HF ALE links and it is
very humorous hearing about the users performance expectations, or lack
thereof. You would not believe the cost of these systems paid for with
our tax dollars!

To somehow equate a minor technology such as ALE with the sea change of
SSB is unwarranted. I was first licensed in 1963 and was an SWL and
experiementer from age 12 when I was exposed to the "virus" in the form
of Popular Electronics Magazine:) You could say that some hams were not
infatuated with SSB even then. But a few had the add on Heath SSB
adapter and would demo it and most wanted it but had difficulty
affording it then.

Eventually, almost all hams went to SSB due to its superiority over most
(but not all) of the characteristics of AM, and the eventual lower cost.
ALE is likely going to be a subset of amateur radio and that is OK. Just
like QRP, AM, ESSB, high end contesters, EME enthusiasts, etc.

But because of the way amateur radio works ... not dissimilar to fishing
... I am willing to bet that most hams will opt for that approach for
most of their operating.