-----Original Message-----
From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 3:57 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: PC-ALE Signal Detect Before Transmitting: An
Experiment

Oh, I see, Steve. You believe that the internet is insufficiently
reliable, despite the multi-billion dollar investments by telecom
companies and suppliers, governments, and research institutions. Thus
there's an opportunity for amateurs to build a more reliable means of
conveying email thats independent of the internet using HF links.

I'm sure there are people on the planet who view the internet as
insufficiently reliable, but most of them are in uniform, and have
the multi-billion dollar budgets required to build and maintain
networks sufficiently reliable for their purposes. My guess is that
they don't use HF either; they use some combination of fiber and
satellites, and are researching entangled quantum bits for their next
generation of capability.

The rest of us think the internet is just fine, except when the power
goes down or the local ISP runs into trouble. Overcoming such outages
is a MUCH simpler problem than replacing the internet with an HF-
based system as Walt -- and evidently you -- suggest.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

Sorry Dave, but you aren't reading the same articles and seeing the same
reports that I am.

Cyberassaults reveal China's growing interest in information warfare,
putting the Pentagon on guard against nation-state attacks.

Network intrusions put net-centricity 'at risk'
08/23/06 -- 06:23 AM Army officials believe that more than 60 serious hits on
networks at 15 bases over the last 10 months were aimed at stealing military
information.
http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/41768-1.html?topic=defense-technology

RED STORM RISING
A growing band of civilian units inside China is writing malicious code
and training to launch cyberstrikes into enemy systems. And for many
of these units, the first enemy is the U.S. Defense Department.
http://www.gcn.com/print/25_25/41716-1.html

IT AS A PRIME TARGET
An enemy of the United States could launch a cyberattack against a
communications infrastructure, or initiate an assault on the country's
banking and finance centers, transportation hubs, nuclear facilities,
electrical grids and even food supply. If this cyberattack were to
happen, would the Defense Department get involved? That decision would
be made by the executive branch of the government.
http://www.gcn.com/print/25_25/41718-1.html

NO, amateur radio cannot build or operate a messaging network anywhere close to
what the Internet provides.  That is NOT the ideas.  The idea is to provide
some level of messaging that could assist the federal, state and local
governments as well as NGOs who would support emergency or disaster recovery if
part or all of the Internet were rendered unusable.

It is those individuals "in uniform" who are most concerned about the Internet
and the DoD's MilNet capability to survive and all out cyber-attack.  Read the
URLs above.

Satellites and fiber are hardware and are not affected by cyber-attacks...its
the software that runs over the hardware that is in danger.

I'm not Chicken Little.  However, when individuals who know about cyber-attacks
and the capabilities of the Internet to survive a large attack by our enemies,
I become concerned.

Walt/K5YFW