>>>AA6YQ comments below

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC
CONS/LGCA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What was the motivation for a man to try and circumnavigate the
globe in a hot air balloon?

Why do individuals enter a triathlon or climb a high mountain?

Because its there to do.

>>>We're discussing a technical initiative that would require the
concerted effort of a team of developers and operators, Walt -- not
a display of personal courage, stamina, or initiative.

There is no stake holders in amateur radio unless you are a supplier
of goods or services or in some other way make a livelihood or money
from it...it is a "hobby".

>>>I strongly disagree. The stakeholders in this case would be the
developers who construct the system, the operators who deploy and
maintain it, and the members of the public who benefit from it.

There are always a cost in any hobby.  I have lost many hundreds of
dollars in radio controlled model airplanes and I understood the
risk but the risk didn't count.  I stopped when I could no longer
afford the hobby.  And again, I have owned aircraft but stopped with
each one when the cost was too high...but I never considered my
hobby a risk.

The same with amateur radio.  We are involved in it as a hobby and
for enjoyment unless we are making money in the hobby.  SO being a
stake holder and looking a cost vs. risk are not applicable.  But
again, if you view amateur radio as something other than a hobby,
then yes you might be concerned in the stake holders...those who you
want to play with and yes, I'm sure you could consider a cost vs.
risk analysis.

>>>In amateur radio, "opportunity cost" is a significant factor. A
software developer willing to freely contribute his or her services
can donate a finite number of hours each week. If those hours are
applied to project A, then they can't be applied to project B. Few
developers would contribute their scarce time to a project whose
only rationale is "because we can". There are plenty of far more
useful undertakings to which a developer could contribute.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ