There is always lot of emphasis on getting signals out of the noise. From my
9-months hands on experience using pskmail over a 1500 Mile path
from Spain to Sweden and from Montenegro to Sweden, noise is not the problem on
the amateur bands, as there is always a frequency you can use which gives you
fair signal/noise performance.

The problem is QRM. Consisting of PACTOR, MFSK, OLIVIA, PSK31, and on 30 meters
also SSB signals coming on frequency during your qso.
Normally that qrm is stronger than the server I am working.  FEC does nothing
to cure that. MFSK e.g. is inferior to PSK63 in that case, provided I use a 100
Hz filter.  The only answer is ARQ.
Pskmail will wait until the intruder is gone and finish the transfer when the
qrm goes away within a certain time frame.

My experience has also shown that it is very difficult to keep a frequency for
more than say 30 minutes. Normally it
won't take more than 10 minutes before a deaf, dumb and blind operator will
spoil your fun with a 9+20 signal on top of you.

73,

Rein PA0R

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com