On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:10:49 -0500, John Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If you are going to operate Amtor or Pactor ARQ mode
>you will be better with a TNC. Otherwise for the sound card
>mode you will not need it.

ok, IC736  running the rig with HRD from an Intel  Pent 4 via CI-V interface
USB cable on MARS.
running Pactor, do I need a TNC?
WHAT IS A TNC exactly.  iow, WHAT does it do?
Why can I not simply load the Pactor software into the PC along with my
HRDeluxe software??
If I need the TNC, how do I hook it up to work with HRD and CI-V??

What am I not understanding here besides everything?   <G>

I am absolutely new to this and the ARRL HF Digital Handbook (isfai can tell
from talking to elmers (few of whom agree) and reading these elists) was
wasted money... anyone want a copy cheap??  ;-)

HELP!!!

73/chas
--
K5DAM  Houston  EL29fu    AAR6TU