The issue is control over the operating system's scheduling
decisions. There are real-time versions of Linux that are comparable
in this dimension to the firmware running in a TNC; given sufficient
CPU horsepower, a Pactor-2 or Pactor-3 implementation on realtime
Linux is feasible.

The Windows scheduler cannot be adequately controlled for use timing-
critical applications; as a result, the response time requirements of
protocols like Pactor-2 and Pactor-3 cannot be guaranteed, no matter
how fast the CPU. Generating CW with consistent timing is a challenge
on this platform.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ