In the case of Pactor-2 and Pactor-3, the developers knew they were
running on dedicated processors with complete control over scheduling,
so there was no reason to reduce performance by unnecessarily extending
turnaround time or pipelining control messages (which extends recovery
when an error occurs). If you're in the business of selling standalone
TNCs, as these developers are, then you exploit every strength afforded
by this approach. The last thing you'd do is design a protocol that
could be implemented without your hardware!

IBM Bisync? I know it all too well. The first commercial product I
designed was a hardware interface for this protocol. Dating myself, it
was implemented with TTL MSI -- before the availability of large scale
integration or customizable logic.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "jhaynesatalumni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>