At 11:41 AM 8/28/2006, you wrote:
>I'm willing to believe that the timing tolerances in -tor modes
>are so tight that ordinary PC operating systems cannot cope with
>them the way a dedicated processor can.  What I don't understand
>is why the tolerances need to be so tight.  The transmitter sends
>a packet and then listens for an ACK or NAK.  Why can't it wait
>arbitrarily long?
>
>There are protocols for wire transmission e.g. IBMs Bi-Sync
>which worked in the days of modems that could only transmit in
>one direction at a time.  These used old slow computers to
>run the protocol.

That is pretty much the way it is with the ALE DTM ARQ, DBM ARQ
protocols and most of the ARQ protocols on the high speed
MIL-STD-188-110x PSK serial tone modem.

The FSK one's will run on just about any CPU and PC Sound Device when
an 8Khz sample clock is used.

The '188-110 modem is a CPU/Memory hog and requires a 9.6Khz sample
clock, to have both the FSK/PSK modems active at the same time on the
same PC Sound Device you need a common ground so 48Khz is used as its
dividable by both 8k and 9.6k. We have a version of MARS-ALE called
"Legacy Edition" that only has the FSK modem at 8Khz and then both
modem at 48Khz, thus the MARS-ALE LE version runs on a 386 and
Windows 98SE and that DBM ARQ is a real performer at a raw 125 baud
and deep interleaving.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH