Ok Rick...here goes...

I don't know about the ARRL DV WG's request.  However, I believe that the
League and its legal staff have come to understand that you don't want to ask
the FCC for a ruling as you probably are going to get the strictest agency
answer in writing which will/may cause you to have to request a rules change
which the agency DOES NOT want to do...it is VERY time comsuming and all agency
staffs have been cut due to budget constraints.

Thus the thought process is don't ask don't tell and its easier to ask
forgiveness than permission.   At least I HOPE that is the position the League
has taken.

Do what you feel is in accordance with good communications engineering
technology advancement and amateur radio practice.

Remember that a "ticket" from the FCC can always be asnwered with..."sorry
about that, I will quit doing it." And then quit doing it until you get an STA,
experimental license or rule change.

Ref. MT63, as you say, the max. baud rate for MT63-2K is 20 baud so 64 tones
times 20 baud is a total of 1280 baud.  If the 300 baud rate applies to the
mode, then MT63 is not IAW Part 97.

Maybe the FCC didn't monitor my HF data operation in 2004.  Hi Hi.

73,

Walt/K5YFW