Mark and group,

When you say the "entire waveform is one symbol," could you expand that
a bit. What do you mean by "the waveform." Do you mean the total
waveform of the emission spread out over the l KHz or 2 KHz bandwidth?

I am probably just not understanding this correctly but if there are 64
tones that run at the same time and each tone runs 10 or 20 baud, how
does the entire waveform equate to one symbol. You would think that if
the tones are running simultaneously, even at a relatively slow 10 or 20
baud rate, then the total baud rate would have to be the tones
multiplied by the individual tone baud rate.

With some waveforms, such as Clover, they only allow one tone to be
operational at a given time. Thus if the tone baud rate is 31.25 baud,
which it is for Clover II, even though it has four tones, it is still
31.25 baud. If you had a similar mode transmitting all four tones
simultaneously wouldn't we consider that mode to be operating at 125 baud?

I never realized that there was no similar requirement for a maximum of
300 baud for "image" types of data being transmitted in the phone bands.
Therefore, it is clear to me that the data that is being sent as
"image," but really is no longer anything like the "image" of the past
which were analog streams, is technically not conforming to the rules.
Needless to say, this must and will be changed.