Walt,

Aren't these some of Bob, N4HY's comments and what he was experimenting
with at the time? At one time TAPR seemed to be one of the best sources
of information and experimentation with new digital modes, especially on
HF. The impression that I got was that things did not progress further
in HF directions and this may have been the tail end of that time
period. I can't even remember the time line and when I used to be a
member. At the time, I found it very exciting with new HF developments.
Then there appeared to be a shift toward VHF and higher frequencies and
the satellites, APRS, etc.

Some day it would be really neat if someone could put up a timeline on
many of the developments over the years and what did and what did not
work out so that we could get a better understanding of the unfoldment
of these developments. It is usually one person coming up with something
that is a breakthrough and then eventually someone else taking it a bit
further along with some other clever designs and coming up with
something new. That is what Pactor did, by optimizing a little here and
a little there and having something that worked pretty well.
Unfortunately, it is single sourced and proprietary.

I am sure that many of the early developers had to go out and make a
living and just could not donate that much time to unpaid work and that
might also at least partially explain why things move in ebb and flow at
times. At least with the internet, the cycles of advancement are much,
much faster than in the "old days" where it might take decades for the
next advance to come forward.

As you can see in the below information, there was a lot of interest in
Linux and GPL software, much more in the tradition of amateur radio.

Can someone fill us in further?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: