> So the folks that hate to spend $300 on a TNC are going to be more capable
> then the system built commercially with $billions and $billions?  While
> there's actually a bit of wisdom in that approach, folks too often
> overlook just how robust the existing infrastructure is -- and how much
> has gone into fixing it and the emergency response capabilities.
> Bill - WA7NWP

I think we would not have to look long or hard
to find thousands of testimonies that the marketing
folks are generally waaaay out in front of the
technical folks.

I sure can recall experiences in the computer and
communications fields and am sure many others here
can as well.

Experience teaches that the more complex = the more
points of potential failure.

Amateur Radio is at its most valuable when our backup
communications systems are simple and redundant and
we leave the costly and complex systems to the
"professionals" -- who will call us to bail them out
when their billion dollars magical solutions fail.

We all remember that the Titanic was built by
professionals, the Ark by an Amateur.  :-)

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E

<*> Your email settings: