--- KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Walt,
>
> Maybe someone can clear this up, but what is the
> difference between the
> differential modes such as DBPSK, DQPSK, 8DPSK, and
> 16DPSK such as used
> with Pactor 2 and modes such as 8QPSK, 16QPSK?

Even when theory says that differential modes have a
worse BER, seemingly they work better on ionospheric
paths, as with a moving ionosphere, is difficult to
maintain an absolute phase reference.

> With the former, it is my understanding that with a
> single tone, the
> binary form (DBPSK) gives you one bit/second, DQPSK
> two, 8DPSK three and
> 16DPSK four.

Still holds true...

> With the previous discussions on baud rate for the
> STANAG and MIL
> modems, can we still say that HF should use baud
> rates below 45?

Depending on multipath, which is worse on lower
frequencies.

> The claim is that these modems appear to be able to
> use extremely high
> baud rates, well above even 300 baud on HF and still
> work well under
> difficult conditions.

The game is using many slow channels in parallel.

Already in 1991 there was a 41 parallel tone modem
being tested in transatlantic paths...it was capable
of running 4800 bit per second and sometimes, up to
9600.

> In fact, the ALE folks believe that amateur radio
> is being held back on HF because we can not transmit
> in excess of 300 baud on most HF frequencies.

Signalling rate....the speed at which every tone is
wiggled. Actually, the ionosphere imposes a much
lower rate for succesful transmission on the lower
frequencies.

> Even Pactor does not exceed 200 baud and that is
> only under the best of conditions and even at 100
> baud, the claim by Dr. Rink was that "The
> short term time jitter has a magnitude of up to 5
> msec. Larger time smearing can only be observed
> under very special conditions of the
> ionosphere. A baud rate of 100 symbols per second
> has proven to be low enough for almost all possible
> propagation conditions, especially if
> powerful error control coding is applied.
>
> Is there anyone here who can further explain this?

Once again....Pactor can adaptively switch from 100 to
200 baud and back...be either Pactor I, II or III.
Additionally, it can adaptively switch in and out
constellation complexity and quantity of tones. Using
compression, FEC and the whole boxful of coding
tricks, it can go up to 5200 bits per second. I have
seen it
on Pactor III ocassionally running  up to 3600 bps on
40 meters, and more often, 2800 and 1400 bps.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional