> I'm just trying to say that the PactorIII technology has a broad non-ham
> customer base and it is worth enough to be sold if the company has
> problems. Unless there is a better and cheaper technology which
> supplants PactorIII, I don't think a company failure will eliminate it.
> Charlie Crizer, KF4MNE

There is a sufficient possibility that the mode could
go into a deeper proprietary state than it is now and
access to upgraded hardware be withheld from non-public
service entities based on a security concern, etc.

Hams need 100% non-proprietary modes.

A Linux-based app on a CD or USB stick or SD card
that loads, runs, and does not disturb the permanent
computer setup may be best.  Totally portable and
cheap.

Puppy Linux http://puppylinux.com/ is free, tiny,
and full featured and will do just that.  Someone
just needs to write and attach the necessary Ham
code to it and we'd have super-redundant digital
communications for disaster/emergency needs in a
hurry!

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E