--- jhaynesatalumni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone know what of Pactor I/II/III is covered
> by patents
> versus what is proprietary information, or trade
> secrets?  With
> patents there is at least supposed to be full
> disclosure of how
> the thing works; and patents have a limited
> lifetime.

How long is it? 20 years? 75 years? Is it reasonable
to wait?

> Then we have talked about STANAG-xxx and MIL-STD-xxx
> and presumably
> those protocols are published and are open for
> implementation.
> Whether they are appropriate for amateur radio is a
> different
> question.

If they are open (I so far don't know) maybe cutting
some corners (like it was done with the X.25 protocol)
could be appropiate.

> Then you can look at web pages for vendors like
> Rockwell-Collins
> and see that they are offering e-mail between
> airplanes and ground
> stations, and that sort of thing.  Are they using
> the published
> protocols or something proprietary?

Airplanes are using HFDL on a network owned by ARINC.

> One reason for adopting STANAG-xxx is to permit
> interoperation with
> non-amateur services, should that become necessary.
> Another reason
> is that those schemes are developed for agencies who
> can pay big
> bucks for the best that can be achieved, so they are
> likely to
> be technically superior to things independently
> invented.  Although
> amateur radio may involve a niche - maybe we want a
> technically
> superior way to do what the agencies using
> STANAG-xxx don't
> want to do.

STANAG or alike could be a wise alternative for us
hams.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: