Actually I think that MT63 would actually work well.  While it may not be the
most robust mode, and during a hurricane if you are "in the storm" your noise
level is quite high...I've see 20-30 over S9 more than once so not matter the
mode, most likely you will be QRO.  The 10-15 watts output of MT63 on a 100
watt transceiver can well be amplified by a 500-1500 watt linear.

The real key is to be able to send the complete data package in a shorter time
than the data is being developed.  For example, when you are tracking a tornado
bearing down on a large city, you don't want radar updated every 10
minutes...you would want them every minute or so.  And its not just location of
the tornado, weather guys want the strength of the radar return and phase
shifts, height of the formation, etc.  The problem is not so much transmitting
the data...even reading it off but having to manually input the data into you
storm tracking program to develop the output.  If you are getting information
at 200-300 WPM, and you can only type 60 WPM...you can never hope to have
real-time information also, you need to be near error free...99.9% perhaps.

But hurricanes are only one example.  Fire fighters use a multitude of remote
data bases in their business...getting data from a server many miles away
(across the country) is tantamount to the success of their life-saving business.

Additionally, managing evacuation routes is another instance where high speed
HF data can benefit those in public service.

When I think back to my early days in aeromedical evacuation, we got by with
sending the name rank and general patient condition along with the patients
destination to a evacuation control center.  Today in IRAQ and Afghanistan,
medical personnel send pages of medical information and almost minute to minute
medical evaluations to the receiving hospital of wounded.  Norway's military
medical system sends the individuals medical telemetry by HF from their
evacuation site to the receiving/destination hospital.

I would hate to think how much data would need to be carried on HF between
power grids to keep them interlocked and sharing loads if their internet
connectivity went away.  At one time all major the power generating plants had
HF radios and their own frequencies.  But they abandoned this as their voice
communications wouldn't provide adequate information.  Too bad they never tried
high speed data communications...they threw away their radios before 9/11.

Walt/K5YFW