Everything Peter says about BPSK operation is sideband independent
except his last point, which is a human limitation. Application
software could mitigate this if desired, e.g. by providing QSY up and
QSY down controls that take sideband into account.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew O'Brien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> but it is based mainly on how PSK31, the first popular soundcard
mode , is
> tuned and viewed in a waterfall.
>
> I posted about Peter Martinez's views on this before...
>

>  From the dude himself...
> Andy K3UK
>

> "You can use either upper sideband or lower sideband when using
PSK31, but
> there are two things to remember.
>
> When tuning to a particular frequency, for a sked or a net for
example, the
> exact frequency specified for the net will be the centre-frequency
of the RF
> signal. If your radio is operating with upper sideband, the RF
frequency
> that it will receive will be the dial frequency of the radio plus
the
> frequency shown in the Rx Freq box in the PSK31SBW program. This
means that
> to operate on a given RF frequency for a sked, you need to subtract
the Rx
> Freq from the RF frequency to get the required dial frequency. If
your radio
> is operating with lower sideband, you should add the Rx Freq value
to the RF
> frequency to get the required dial frequency.
>
> The other thing to remember when choosing which sideband to use, is
that
> it's important that both stations use the same keying convention
when using
> QPSK. In this program, the default is to use upper sideband. If you
choose
> to use lower sideband and you will be using QPSK, then you must
change the
> keying convention for QPSK, both when receiving and transmitting.
This is
> done by checking the Inverted QPSK  box in the SETUP menu.
>
> The keying polarity does not matter with BPSK, so it does not
matter which
> sideband to use for BPSK, and the Inverted QPSK  checkbox has no
effect on
> BPSK, but you should remember the QPSK polarity problem because you
may want
> to switch to QPSK during a contact, and if you have the wrong
polarity, you
> will lost the copy.
>
> It is recommend to use upper sideband for PSK31. It will be easier
to read
> the waterfall display and decide which way to QSY if the RF
spectrum is the
> same way up as the audio spectrum."
>

> On 9/22/06, Dave Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   PSK -- which many posters here have asserted is the most
popular sound
> > card mode -- can be used in either LSB or USB at the operator's
> > discretion.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Dave, AA6YQ
> >
> > --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com <digitalradio%
40yahoogroups.com>, John
> > Becker <w0jab@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I ask this before but tell me again why al the sound card
> > > modes are on USB when all the *pre* sound card modes
> > > (RTTY, PACKET, AMTOR & PACTOR and others) are
> > > all LSB
> > >

> --
> Andy K3UK
> Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73