Mark,

Good references.

I had the pleasure of meeting Byron Kretzman, W2JTP while he was
working for the State of Minnesota, Highway Department, Electronic
Communications division.  I have his RTTY handbook autographed by him.
 He came to the RATS club which met over in Minneapolis.  I built the
Twin City TU that Byron published in CQ magazine which he desinged
while working here in the twin cities.  I could not make it work so a
ham who was active on RTTY had me bring it to his shack, W0HKF.  I had
installed this new device called a diode backwards.  A 1N34 first
solid state device I had seen.  Did not know which direction the "bar"
end went according to the schematic.  Had a lot of fun with the Twin
City TU and the old model 19 Teletype set.  The last TU I built was
the DT-600, all solid state using Op-Amps.  Think it was in Ham Radio
Magazine?

By the way there is a discussion on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham/
on this very same subject "which way is up?".  W1HKJ, Dave is
developing fldigi for Linux a multi mode sound card ham application.

73,

Jerry  -  K0HZI

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Mark Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here are a couple of interesting RTTY History articles.
>
> http://www.rtty.com/history/w6owp.htm
>
> http://www.hertzmail.com/rtty/ttyinfo1.pdf
>
> 73,
>
> Mark N5RFX