Anthony,

Is a 1KHz guard band really required? At 22 WPM, these beacons are not very
wide bandwidth-wise, something like 88 Hz. So, if you were operating at
14100.4 you were not really interfering - as if they ran a very narrow
filter they would be able to hear the CW beacons with no QRM from you.

Surely, in this day of continuous variable filters we should be able to work
side-by-side without causing interference to each other. Just because you
land in someone's pass-band does not make you an interfering signal - it is
the other guy's problem with the wide-open radio. The way that PSK31 ops can
work with dozens of signals within a 3KHz bandwidth proves this.

I am amazed at the number of times I will be working PSK in a digital
band-plan segment and a SSB phone signal will appear. Does one move or stay
put? I tend to think of it from my communications perspective - I move as
far from them as I can so as to make RX easier for me and hopefully also for
the station I am trying to work. I get a lot of OHR (over the horizon radar)
qrm here on 40m and 80m at night. Does one move when this appears? I find
that if I keep transmitting it tends to move on. I use this strategy as I
did some research on the net which showed that the OHR ops use automated
systems to find quiet pieces of bandwidth in which to work - if you keep
transmitting through the QRM then somewhere else looks more quiet and so
they move on.

In the end, band plans are just Gentlemen's agreements. You can violate them
however you want - but then you have to expect that some gentlemen will not
want to know you anymore. Everybody has to find their own balance of
minimising interference whilst at the same time not being pushed around by
others - whether those others be jammers, other legitimate ops within the
band plan, ops outside of the band plan, ops who are inside the band plan
within their region but outside within yours,  broadcasters, OHR or bandplan
police.

As for QRMing someone who is operating in the wrong place - that is not nice
behaviour, and certainly not in the spirit of Amateur radio. You would think
that people have better things to do - like making contacts of their own.

73 de Brett VK2TMG

On 9/27/06, arswm3t <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com <digitalradio%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "expeditionradio"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > RTTY Hall of Shame
> >
> > Here is a list of some of the RTTY operators transmitting
> > on the international IARU beacon frequency 14100.0kHz today.
> >
> > 73---Bonnie KQ6XA
> >
> > Saturday 23 SEP 2006
> >
> > WM3T/4 (repeat offender)
>
> I was on 14.100.4 from 2005-2341z Saturday. Had I known/remembered
> about this beacon stuff, I would have been on a different frequency.
> What bothers me about this whole thing of the "Hall of Shame" is the
> public forum that it posted in. A simple email to me Saturday would
> have been suffice to get me to move, not the deliberate QRM'ing and
> trying to tell me something from the other side of the country when I
> am beaming to EU, because I simply ignored it. My email address is
> not a secret, it's on my QRZ profile! Also, how can you be a "repeat
> offender" per the list when I was there for 3.5 hours, wouldn't that
> be considered one offense, technically?
>
> I have been doing some thinking about this over the last couple of
> days and have come to a couple conclusions:
>
> 1.) The beacon network is important, and I will be considerate of it
> in the future by not transmitting from 14099.4 to 14100.6.
> 2.) People take this hobby WAY too seriously. It is a HOBBY and you
> should be considerate of other people, bash them to their face
> (direct email) instead in a public forum!
> 3.) If I was causing interference to the beacons, what is the
> justification for sending RTTY to me for 1/2 hour trying to get me to
> move? (I would love an answer to that one.) Were they not causing
> just as much interference by calling me from a different geographical
> region?
> 4.) Again, how did the arbitrary 17 stations get listed and why was
> I listed first?
>
> I guess life has one thing on us, we never see it coming...
>
> 73 de
> Anthony, WM3T

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional