> Risto W6RK wrote:
> Please explain how did you define someone being on 14100?
> Their mark was on 14100, their space was on 14100?
> And what sort of tolerance you used?
> How did you measure their frequencies?

Hi Risto,

Defined as "being on" 14100 kHz:
The only RTTY operators that were recorded on the short list of
Saturday's "RTTY Hall of Shame" were the ones who were transmitting
with the maximum energy of their signal within +/-180Hz of the beacon
frequency 14100.000 kHz. Some of the RTTY operators had their mark
or space on or about the beacon freq, some were actually straddling
it :)
A few of the ops, including both of the so-called repeat offenders,
were "parked" there for a long time, within +/-100Hz of 14100.000 kHz.
 I watched a "frequency fight" occur twice between them and
contending operators during that time :)

Frequency Calibration and Measurement Method:
To measure frequency, I used an Icom IC-756pro transceiver, calibrated
to +/- 1Hz, tuned to 14099.000kHz USB, with computer software running
an audio spectrum analyzer waterfall display checked to +/- 4Hz using
1000Hz WWV tones on AM. The tranceiver was calibrated in my RF lab and
checked against WWV on 15MHz and 10MHz on the air. I measured the
beacon station W6WX at 14100.008 kHz +/-6Hz (1008Hz on the waterfall).
 The W6WX beacon is within line-of-sight to my QTH, at signal level
S9+10dB, 24 hours per day, and it was observed and measured
concurrent with the RTTY signals.

Beacon Guard Band Frequencies:
DX propagation on 14MHz was good Saturday. All of the RTTY operators
on the list were transmitting with entire signal (mark + space)
completely within 14099.6 kHz to 14100.4 kHz. That is within the IARU
Region 1 beacon guard band of 14099.0 kHz to 14101.0 kHz. That is
within the IARU Region 2 beacon guard band 14099.5 kHz to 14100.5 kHz.
That is also within the IARU Region 3 beacon guard band of 14100.0 kHz
+/-500Hz.
http://www.hflink.com/bandplans/

The interesting thing about HF is that you never know who is
listening. In this case, there were hundreds, possibly thousands
of operators tuned to this frequency, trying to listen to the
beacon network, but hearing a few RTTY lids instead.

I'm sure some of the RTTY operators on the air Saturday really
enjoy seeing their callsigns on lists in ham magazines and on the
internet.

They were included on a list, but perhaps this was not the kind
of list they had in mind   :)

73---Bonnie KQ6XA

.

<*> Your email settings: