From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:26 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Rig S-meter comparison

Walt,

I never knew this strong a signal was equated to S9. Having recently
done some Rig S-meter comparisons, with rigs set to the 50 microvolt
standard, a 100,000 uV signal would be just a bit over S9+60 on my
Kenwood TS-440SAT. My Ten Tec Argonaut V only goes to S9 +40 db at
10,000 uV and my ICOM 756 Pro 2 tops out at 5000 uV for S9 + 60 db.
Therefore, a 100,000 uV signal is extremely strong at around -7 dbm.

Incidentally, the tracking of the microvolt levels at the various S unit
points, is not linear and is not necessarily 5 or 6 db per S unit even
though this is often repeated in the amateur press. There can be fairly
wide variations in the dbm levels (interpolated from the uV
measurements) from S unit to S unit. For example, when reading the lower
S units, the Pro 2 can change only one or two dbm and the TS-440SAT
around 2 to 3 dbm per S unit.

The Argo V tracks 5 to even as much as 10 dbm between S units. If you
use the 50 uV standard of today at S9, it is interesting that using a
voltage change of 20 times for a 10 db change, you would find that you
would be at around 5 uV at roughly S5. My actual Argo V is 5.5 uV at S6.
The expected S meter reading at around S2 would be .5 uV. The actual in
my case is 0.10 uV at S2 which is -127 dbm. This appears to be the
reason that the Argo V never reads much below S2, since the S meter is
reading a level close to the MDS which is probably around -133 dbm.

Meanwhile the Pro 2 reads 4.8 uV at S1 and the 440 reads 2 uV at S1. So
quite a difference between rigs.

The measuring equipment is an old SG-85A/URM-25D signal generator and
maybe not all that well calibrated, but should give a relative
indication. Having said that, the Argo V and the 440 were about as close
as you can get at 50 uV at S9 from the reading on the generator's analog
meter.

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA wrote:

>In bygone days, S-9 was to be produced by a 100,000 microvolt carrier at the
>receiver's antenna terminal with the RF gain control at min (attenuation?) and
>AGC on.
>
>Also, the S unit was to equal 5.5 dB.
>
>Rockwell-Colling and a few other manufacturers of amateur radio receivers in
>the late 1970's had their receiver signal strength meters measured in dB or
>microvolts.  The 12 o'clock position was 100,000 microvolts...I have forgotten
>what dB it was.
>
>Walt/K5YFW

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional