I understand most of the new FCC rule changes that will go into effect
on 11 Nov 06, but I am a bit confused when it comes to the digital changes.

Under Item 15 below, they state:

"Nevertheless, our Part 97 rules do not now authorize amateur stations
to transmit both image and data emission types on any HF frequency
segments,"

I am probably misunderstanding something, but I had thought that we
could transmit both image and data and voice throughout the 160 meter
band. It is not necessarily meeting the band plans, but I had thought
the FCC rules permitted it.

Hopefully, others will have a lot more understanding than I have on what
it is they are permitting on the "data" portions of the bands which to
me means anything that is not the phone section. If I understand it,
they will allow both analog and digital image in the non-phone areas,
but only if they are narrow bandwith or under 500 Hz?

But no data to be transmitted in the phone areas except for "image" and
digital voice. I am very disappointed if we can not include "data" when
using WinDRM types of programs in the phone portion of the band and I
can not understand their reasoning on this. Unless what they really mean
is that you could use WinDRM (wide band modes) in the phone section to
transmit "data," but you can not use the narrow band modes in the phone
band section such as RTTY.

I find Item 19 to be not fully clear about NOT accepting the ARRL's
request to NOT impose a 500 Hz bandwidth limitation in the data area:

 "ARRL also requests that we not impose a 500 Hz bandwidth
limitation in the definition of data emissions, arguing that this
limitation would have unintended consequences because the limitation
also applies to amateur service bands in which a higher symbol rate
or
bandwidth is permitted.   We understand ARRL's concern, but we note
that eliminating or relaxing the bandwidth limitation would de facto
eliminate the separation of narrow bandwidth and wide bandwidth
emissions.   We believe that separation of emission types by
bandwidth
is accepted in the amateur service as a reasonable means to minimize
interference on shared frequencies and bands  and, therefore, we will
not replace the 500 Hz bandwidth limitation with a 3 kHz bandwidth
limitation.  To accommodate the concern raised by ARRL, however, we
will revise our rules to clarify that the 500 Hz limitation applies
only to the emission types we are adding to the definition of data
when transmitted on amateur service frequencies below 30 MHz.  By
amending the rule in this manner, the 500 bandwidth limitation will
not apply to other data emission types or amateur service bands in
which a higher symbol rate or bandwidth currently is permitted."

It seems to be saying that there is some kind of narrow bandwidth
limitation in the non-phone parts of the HF bands. I had thought that
this new rulemaking would define those different areas, but it seems
that they have sidestepped this (unless this is something additional
that is still pending?)

When they say they will "not replace the 500 Hz bandwidth limitation
with a 3 kHz bandwidth, they appear to only be referring to the newly
permitted modes being 500 Hz? And those newly permitted modes are
basically analog FAX and analog image?

Could you use WinDRM on the non-phone areas as long as you were sending
"data," but when you wanted to send images, you would have to use
something else since it doesn't accomodate?

Is this the final decision on how the bands were to be divided up, or is
there another NPRM for that to be decided later on? What about the whole
issue of baud rates exceeding the 300 baud speed?

I apologize to those who think these are dumb questions, but I really
find it confusing.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: