Hi Ed.

I'm rarely on in the evenings and mainly on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and
on holidays...and on rare occasions as K5STB/P on Saturdays.

UR Questions...

1) Can you suggest a reference on HF propagation that may show
distributions or histograms of fade depths, durations and bandwidths?

        No...I generally use the NVIS HAP charts from
http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/7/1/1
        Realtime fade depths, durations and bandwidths are going to change so
much that you
        would probably have to be on-the-air at both ends of a path to
determine this for any
        one band of frequencies.

2) For the examples of military equipment you gave, did they use
voice bandwidths (~2.5 KHz) or were the bandwidths larger?

        Most has 2.7 KHz receiver bandpass filters or slighly less.  CW filters
        were 400 Hz and AM filters were 6.x KHz.  Most units used AME-USB with
        re-injected carrier so wht bandwidth was the same as SSB

3) With military communications I expect that voice quality and
accuracy of the communication is essential.  For ham weak signal
applications where accuracy is not a life and death matter, can we
gain any performance by trading codec data for FEC data?  If voice
quality at 2400 bps is considered acceptable for military
applications, can we get better SNR performance with useable voice
quality for ham applications at codec data rates less than 2400 bps
with stronger FEC?

        You would think that voice quality and accuracy would be essential and
        in fact it is.  However, the reason they sent from 1200 baud to 2400
baud
        for DV was just that and when signal levels were good enough, they used
        4800 BPS.

        The robustness for the 2400 bps DV wasn't all that good...something
more than
        a + 10 dB SNR was required.  A more robust DV that would work with SNRs
of
        0 to -5 dB would be great...but then you could use 4800 bps DV at +10
SNRs.

        The qualitity of the AOR DV units is nice...very clear...I don't think
that
        part needs much imporvement.  However, they require such a high SNR
that they can't
        be considered very robust.

        Walt/K5YFW