In a sense, the FCC has hoist digital users on their own petard.  With
PSK-31 being so popular, the need for lots of space is questionable.
Likewise, the competition for space is not as great with the most
narrow modes, i.e. less qrm.  In order to show the FCC more space is
needed, digital folks will need to suffer years of significant qrm,
such as phone on 3900 - 4000 mHz has had.

I suspect the use of modes with the widest bandwidth possible, whether
needed or not, is the only way to make a significant argument to the
FCC that more space is needed.

It certainly looks like the FCC took the comments that contained so
called "studies" of usage into account when determining allocations.
Even though these "studies" had significant flaws, such as being done
at a sunspot minimum, the FCC obviously accepted them for 80/75 meters.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Last weekend, or was it the one before, during a RTTY contest, I
heard them
> as low as 14.055 , and smack dab inside the PSK portion around 14.060
> upward.  When there are contests every other weekend of one kind or the
> other, that doesnt leave many free weekends for those who still have
jobs
> during the week.
>

> Danny Douglas N7DC
> ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA