I'll be honest here, I don't know if Pactor starts in mode P1 or P2 or
maybe either.  I do know it doesn't connect in P3.  It connects in one
of the slower modes and then expands to P3 if the signal is
sufficient.  This means every pactor connection, where P3 is
available, does this and is one of the reasons for its high
interference potential and unpopularity with other users.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Rein Couperus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You will find that ANY mode changing its bandwidth during a qso will
be highly unpopular.

> The best example is PACTOR III, which will QRM a 2.5 kHz band
segment under good conditions, disturbing multiple narrow band qso's.

> E.g. if you would say 'pactor 3 switches to 2.5kHz under good condx'
the viewpoint is wrong.
> Actually Pactor 3 switches back to 500 Hz under marginal condx.
>
> The basic bandwidth of pactor 3 is 2.5 kHz. And it should be banned
from narrow band segments.

> 73,
>
> Rein PA0R
>

> > I think we will be able to use emissions with bandwidths greater than
> > 500Hz in the RTTY/Data subbands, but it is very interesting to me
to find
> > how popular limiting the maximum occupied bandwidth to 500Hz
actually is
> > with the general ARS population.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Mark N5RFX